On Wednesday July 29, the Justice Department’s Antitrust Division concluded its two-day virtual workshop on competition in the licensing of public performance rights in the music industry.
“I want to thank our panelists and keynote songwriters for participating in this important workshop on the ASCAP and BMI consent decrees,” said Assistant Attorney General Makan Delrahim. “Watching and listening to them over the last two days, I was struck by how many talented people with very different backgrounds the workshop brought together. Songwriters, lawyers, economists, and CEOs obviously have very different skill sets. Yet all the participants were exceptional, talented, and insightful.”
“This diverse representation underscores the free market principles that the Antitrust Division defends. The ability to succeed as an entrepreneur, as an innovator, as a songwriter, or as another creative professional is the economic freedom promised by competitive markets. That freedom is what the attorneys and economists at the Antitrust Division devote themselves to upholding.”
“This week’s proceedings underscored that liberty in free markets is important to our country, and it’s important to the music industry. As the Antitrust Division considers the appropriate path forward, we will strive to find the one that best supports this critical industry.”
The participants in the event included:
- LeAnn Rimes
- Pharrell Williams
- Jon Bon Jovi
- David Israelite, President and CEO, National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA)
- Michelle Lewis, Executive Director, Songwriters of North America (SONA)
- Elizabeth Matthews, CEO, American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP)
- Michael O’Neill, President and CEO, Broadcast Music Inc. (BMI)
- The Honorable Gordon Smith, President and CEO, National Association of Broadcasters (NAB)
- Jackie Brenneman, General Counsel, National Association of Theatre Owners
- Ted Cohen, Managing Partner, TAG Strategic
- David Kokakis, Chief Counsel, Universal Music Publishing Group
- Janet McHugh, Executive Director, TV Music License Committee
- Mike Steinberg, Executive Vice President of Creative and Licensing, BMI
- Danielle Aguirre, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, NMPA
- Jordan Bromley, Board Member, Music Artists Coalition
- Bart Herbison, Executive Director, Nashville Songwriters Association International
- Clara Kim, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, Business and Legal Affairs, ASCAP
- Jack Kugell, Board Member, SONA
- John Bodnovich, Executive Director, American Beverage Licensees
- Peter Brodsky, General Counsel and Executive Vice President, Business Affairs, Sony/ATV Music Publishing
- Rick Kaplan, General Counsel and Executive Vice President, Legal and Regulatory Affairs, NAB
- Stuart Rosen, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, BMI
- Tres Williams, Executive Vice President, Business Affairs, iHeartMedia, Inc.
- Adam B. Jaffe, Brandeis University
- Kevin M. Murphy, University of Chicago
A transcript and video of the proceedings will be available in the coming days on the workshop page, located at https://www.justice.gov/atr/events/public-workshop-competition-licensing-music-public-performance-rights. Assistant Attorney General Makan Delrahim’s opening statement is available at here.
Greetings I’m Sam.
I edit, report and maintain this site. If you have any questions You can mail below me but it could be a while before I get back to you.